Catholic Charities Senior & Caregiver Support Services (CCSCSS) has been serving Schenectady County residents age 60 and older with Transportation services since 1974. The Program has grown to include transportation to Senior Dining Centers in Schenectady County. The Schenectady County Department of Senior & Long Term Care Services supports the medical and senior dining transportation programs, along with donations from participants and the community. The Transportation Program is dedicated to providing user-friendly services to those in wheelchairs as well as ambulatory participants, rendered by compassionate staff utilizing a small fleet of buses and mini vans.
What do I need to know about the Medical Transportation Services if I want to use the services?
- Participants must be at least 60 years old, not on Medicaid, and a resident of Schenectady County.
- The program operates by advance reservation.
- The first call to the office requires a registration process.
- Door-to-door service is available.
- Vehicles can accommodate walkers, wheelchairs (wheelchair ramp must be available at place of residence), and travel oxygen tanks.
- An adult escort may be included in the transportation service.
- The service accommodates out of county travel as available.
- All types of medical appointments are accepted including physical therapy, mental health, dialysis, chemotherapy, and medical testing.
- Transportation is available Monday through Friday with pickups starting at 9:00 am and last drop off by 3:00 pm.
- A donation of $4.00 for ambulatory clients and $6.00 for wheelchair clients is encouraged, yet there are no fees to use the Transportation Program.
Tell me more about Transportation for the Senior Dining Centers – Friendship Cafés.
- Through CCSCSS, four Friendship Cafés are available throughout the county – Duanesburg, Scotia-Glenville, Niskayuna, and Schenectady.
- A door-to-door shuttle is available along with wheelchair accommodations (wheelchair ramp must be available).
- Schenectady County residents 60 years of age or older may contact the Transportation Department to request transportation to a Dining Center Site.
- Spouses under 60 years are eligible to attend with their husband or wife.
- If you are over 60 and have an adult child whom you are responsible for, they may also use the transportation services when the parent utilizes the shuttle.
- Based on the activities offered at the center, seniors may be eligible to participate in weekly grocery shopping trips, planned field trips, and seasonal trips to the farmers’ markets throughout Schenectady County.
- Hours of transportation coincide with the dining center. A donation of $1.25 each way, $1.00 for shopping, is encouraged, yet there are no fees to use the Transportation Program.
Volunteer opportunities are available for Drivers. Background screening, training, and a commitment to a regular schedule are required.
For additional information, call 518-357-9801. Click here to view Title VI Notice to Public